Day 23: If you held all the cards, where would you want your writing to take you?
Short answer: Europe!
Slightly longer short answer: As early as third grade I dreamed of writing best-sellers. I suppose, if we’re talking ALL the cards, I won’t give up on that dream. But ultimately I don’t need fame or fortune. I would be happy just to live comfortably doing what I love, and have the resources to follow my other dreams like world travel and living abroad.
Alright. If we’re really going to play the “ALL the cards” game, I think a list is the best way to go.
Julie’s Quick List of Writing Goals & Dreams
- Be able to afford a comfortable, debt-free life
- …as well as travel
- Get published by a respected publishing house
- Make the NYT bestseller list
- Appear on The Daily Show and / or The Colbert Report to discuss my future best-selling books with idols Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert
- Attend a book-signing in which I am the author
- See my book(s) discussed on television, in high schools and universities, debated by scholars
- Make a lasting contribution to culture, the arts, and humanity
If you’re going to dream, dream big.
But even if you fall miserably short of your goals, have a laugh. Failure is often the first step to success.